Six Sigma is a set of processes that eliminate failures and ensure quality in an organization’s products and services. It is considered a world-class standard of excellence in business operations. Earning the Black Belt designation certifies a professional who works at the highest levels of operational excellence. In this 100% online course, you will learn the Six Sigma techniques and methods at a level that qualifies you for Black Belt status. Upon successful completion, you will be prepared for the Six Sigma Black Belt certification offered by the American Society for Quality (ASQ®).
Job Outlook for Certified Six Sigma Black Belts
- The US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) counts Management Analysts among its top prospects for future job growth. The BLS forecasts an 11% increase in demand for Management Analysts between now and 2029. This is almost triple the rate expected for overall job growth. The BLS attributes this growth to the constant need for organizations to increase their efficiency in competitive global markets.
- According to the BLS, Management Analysts earn $85,260 per year, on average. According to PayScale.com, salaries for certified Six Sigma Black Belts range from $61-179,000 per year, with an average of $100,780.
Certified Six Sigma Black Belt FAQs
WHAT DO SIX SIGMA BLACK BELTS DO?
Six Sigma Black Belts lead projects that enhance efficiency and profitability for their employers and clients. Six Sigma relies on statistical modeling of manufacturing or service delivery processes, using statistical process control tools to identify and eliminate areas of inefficiency and waste.
IS THE SIX SIGMA BLACK BELT CERTIFICATION VALUABLE?
In the Six Sigma system, Black Belt status represents senior leadership and indicates extensive business or organizational experience along with the rigorous Black Belt training. As a result, certified Black Belts earn, on average, 34% more than Green Belts, the next lower Six Sigma status.
WHAT JOB TITLES ARE ASSOCIATED WITH SIX SIGMA BLACK BELTS?
While many certified Six Sigma Black Belts work in contractor and consulting roles, companies also value Black Belts in employee roles that may include titles such as Operations Director, Senior Continuous Improvement Leader, Senior Project Leader and Senior Business Process Analyst.
- Understand the DMAIC (define, measure, analyze, improve, control) model
- Gain knowledge of the Six Sigma business case and related strategic planning and voice of the customer requirements
- Differentiate between key Six Sigma metrics and define processes, problems, and opportunities by applying brainstorming and critical to quality
- Find out the basics of flowcharts and learn how to develop/test hypotheses
- Determine how to define, plan, implement, and complete a project by creating project deliverables that satisfy stakeholders
- Discover the power of work breakdown structure (WBS), Gantt charts, and network scheduling methods
- Be prepared for the Six Sigma Black Belt certification offered by the American Society for Quality (ASQ®)
- Obtain guidance through the use of ASQ®’s Six Sigma’s Body of Knowledge (BOK) as a path forward approach
Prerequisites and Requirements
Prior to taking this course, you must be knowledgeable in basic Algebra and Statistics.
To be successful in this course, it is strongly recommended that you complete your Black Belt project at your current place of employment. Black Belt-level process improvement projects require significant real-time data, which is easier to obtain when you are presently employed. Projects must also be based on an actual business and are subject to approval by a Master Black Belt. Examples include:
- Manufacturing Floor – Reduced manufacturing product defects
- Human Resources Department – Reduced recruitment cycle time
- Accounting Department – Reduced accounts payable invoice processing costs
- If you are currently unemployed, then you should instead take a Green Belt level certification course.
To obtain a Black Belt certification, an applicant will need to show proof that they have completed two Black Belt level projects. These projects are not needed to successfully complete this course, but an applicant will need to show proof of projects in order to apply for the certification exam.
- Organization-Wide Planning and Deployment
- Fundamentals of Six Sigma and Lean
- Strategic Planning
- Organizational Process Management and Measures
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Change Management
- Team Management
- Team Dynamics
- Team Training
- Voice Customer
- Customer Identification
- Data Collection Requirements
- Business Case, Project Management, Analytical Tools
- Project Justification
- Project Management Tools
- Process Characteristics, Data Collection, Measurement Systems
- Basic Statistics and Probability
- Tests for Dispersion and Central Tendency
- Process Capability
- Cp, Cpk
- Pp, Ppk
- Relationships Between Variables and Hypothesis
- Linear Regression
- Tests for Means, Variances, Proportions.
- Failure Mode and Effects Analysis and Additional Analysis Methods
- Risk Management
- Gap Analysis
- Design of Experiments
- One Factor
- Full Factorial
- Lean Methods
- Cycle Time Reduction
- Control Methodologies
- Statistical Process Control
- Control Charts
- Design for Six Sigma Framework and Methodologies
- Common Methods
Tony Swaim has helped many clients, colleagues, and students reach their professional and personal goals. He has been an online instructor since 1998 and has taught at colleges and universities across the United States since 1981. His focus areas are project management, Six Sigma, and supply chain management. Tony manages a successful consulting firm, and his industry experience includes 20 years of supply chain management. He earned a Doctorate in Business Administration from Kennesaw State University and holds professional certifications in six disciplines, including the Project Management Professional (PMP)® certification from the Project Management Institute (PMI)® and Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB)® from the American Society for Quality (ASQ)®.
Registration and Enrollment
This course is open enrollment. You can enroll and begin anytime.
Questions? Please contact us at 559.688.3130 or [email protected]